[cl-irc-devel] New release (from pre_mode_tracking tag)?

Erik Huelsmann e.huelsmann at gmx.net
Mon Mar 21 13:54:25 UTC 2005

> Hello Lispers,
>
> I'm new to this project. And after sending that one patch and after I got
> cl-irc to work for my tests I joined to this list.
>
> Cl-irc is nice interface for IRC. It works great and it didn't take too
> long to do simple IRC bot. Thanks!
>
> Couple of things I want to bring my opinnion into:
>
> On Sun, Mar 20, 2005 at 10:57:49PM +0100, Erik Huelsmann wrote:
>
> > This brings me to several questions:
> >
> > - What's the numbering scheme?
> >   - Is 0.10 deemed acceptable? Or is 0.9 considered to be last before
> 1.0?
> >

> It's common practice that after 0.9 comes 0.10. So it's acceptable.
Yes, some projects do use 0.9 -> 0.10 -> 0.xx -> 1.0
others (SBCL, APR) use 0.9 -> 1.0. The former is fine (a bit more relaxed)
by me, I just wanted to know... Since Brian sent his reaction too, I think
we have consensus now to go the former route.

> >   - Do the version numbers mean anything wrt guaranteed APIs?
> >
> If it's documented, then yes. Again, it seems to be common practise that
> software with version number below 1.0 can change API between versions.
> It's still in development after all. Then 1.0 should have same API and
> new API can be introduced in 2.0. Does this make any sense?

Yes, that's almost 1 to 1 what is in the URL I referred to. I'd be very
happy if there were no guarantees until 1.0 though. That would make life a
*lot* easier when trying to go to a 1.0 from where we are now :-)

> > - What requirements are there for a 1.0 release?
>  - Extensive documentation (Wiki might be good way to get contributions?)
I have no idea about how well a wiki will help to get contributions in terms
of documentation.

>  - Stable API. No need to do changes before 2.0?
I think the strategy in the URL I referred to is actually quite nice. I have
some experience working with that scheme. It means you can't change, but you
can *add* new interfaces/api's.

>  - Bugfree code?
Does that exist? :-)

> Hopefully I can get myself to do something useful and contribute code to
> your project.
All contributions are welcome ofcourse! If you start anything major, could
you please send a notification to the list? That way we can prevent
duplication of efforts.

bye,

Erik.

--
"Happy ProMail" bis 24. März: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/promail
Zum 6. Geburtstag gibt's GMX ProMail jetzt 66 Tage kostenlos!