[cl-debian] CLC: UID vs home directory for determining the fasl cache directory? (was: some CLC patches)

René van Bevern rvb at cadr.progn.org
Mon Jan 9 18:34:52 UTC 2006

On  9.01.06, Peter Van Eynde wrote:

Hello Peter,

> > Sorry, I don't see the specific problem. :-/ User IDs are unique,
> Think 10000 users.

Well, if that is the only problem, using UIDs is easily modified to
split the directory structure into something of the form
/var/cache/common-lisp-controller/some-value-from-uid/uid.

We could also use use the username and put it into alphabetical
subdirectories, which would still be unique. This turns the problem
around: two usernames may share one UID, in which case one UID might
end up with more than one fasl cache, but this does not interference
with the security checks -> no problem.

Just tell me your opinion on it and I'll change it, but there must be
a way to avoid the current behavior which is clearly a bug, since CLC
does not allow multiple users to end up with the same fasl cache.

What do the other ML-lurkers think? ;-) *poll*

> Great! I love it when people read my mind.

Well, actually I did read the darcs changelog and the source
comments. ;-)

	René