[chicago-lisp] What lisp based applications do people use?

Andrew Wolven awolven at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 10 09:03:24 UTC 2006

I haven't read the thread but I will answer the
question... or...would use if the company were not so
vaporous.

Mirai.  I have Allegro 5.0.1 based Mirai.
Unfortunately it breaks down alot on windows XP.  The
most fun part...the renderer.  They had gotten rid of
the lisp renderer because when they first ported to
allegro it was too slow, and some dumb thing, dealing
with the shell call is causing "nil is not the
expected type, numuber".  I am sure if I decided to
get really down to it I could patch the damn thing
myself, but then there is the fact that the
nodelicense, which is based on an ethernet mac
address, only works on this laptop when the wireless
or is connected.  Perhaps I would ask them if they
could cut a license for the cat 5 ethernet adapter,
but it was so friggen hard just to get my license
updated in the first place, i'm afraid to bother them.

AFAIK they are probably either A. doing nothing, or B.
rewriting mirai in C++.  Probably B.  Either case the
Izware people are a perfect example of the classic
failures of major lisp based applications.  It is so
friggen sad it's heartbreaking.  The platform is
essentitially totally bitchen and ripe for insane
development.  [CAD person here]  It has a really nice
gui.  HI: Human Interface (you start it by saying
(hi:say-hi).  You could link in SMLIB and write a
constraint engine and develop your own friggen
proengineer or autodesk inventor with a few measly
dozen million or so.  All in lisp.  Integrated
Knowledge-Based Engineering.  Anything you want.  Web
deployment, sound, anything that you can run in
allegro...plus all the animation simulation stuff
possible from mirai and a solid modeler.

THE ULTIMATE QUESTION IS!  Why did it fail!  It failed
because the Lisp Machine failed and they just couldn't
keep up in a C world.

I would cry myself to sleep but I still have work to
do.

;) AKW