[chicago-lisp] What lisp based applications do people use?

Damien Kick dkixk at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 10 01:05:53 UTC 2006

On Dec 9, 2006, at 16:28, Corey Sweeney wrote:

> Hey, I was wondering, what lisp extensible applications do people use?
>
> Ones that I use, that I can think of right away are:
> text editor               - emacs          - (uses  emacs lisp)

Yeah, GNU Emacs or XEmacs and SLIME.

> What other lisp extensible apps does everyone use?

I have used Edi Wietz's Regex Coach, actually, to help me debug
complicated regular expressions.  It is actually really cool to use
it for that.  If one doesn't understand why a particular regular
expression isn't matching in a way that one expects, one can just
start typing the regular expression, and watch as what does match is
highlighted.  As soon as things are no longer being highlighted as
one wants, it's usually pretty obvious what went wrong.  But Regex
Coach isn't extensible, so that doesn't really count, I suppose.

I personally tend to use lisp mostly as a programming language.  As
most of the time I spend coding is devoted to work, and the product
on which I work doesn't use lisp, I don't get to spend a whole lot of
time programming in lisp.  However, I do find excuses to use it.  For
example, I have recently written a very simplistic telnet-stream and
my own anemic version (but it does do what I need to get done) of Don
Libe's Expect (because I don't much like Tcl) to automate remote
software installations.