[cells-gtk-devel] Cells-GTK on OSX

Kai Kaminski kai.kaminski at gmx.de
Sat Aug 26 16:13:43 UTC 2006

Hi,

I downloaded the latest CVS version of cells-gtk and tried to use it
with either SBCL or OpenMCL. I fixed a few of the problems that I
encountered, only some of which are defects in cells-gtk.

1) The foreign library definitions in GTK-FFI.LISP are broken. Since
   most (all?) Lisp implementations running on OSX have :UNIX as well
   as :DARWIN in *FEATURES*, the :DARWIN clauses have to come
   first. The library names in GTK-FFI.LISP were wrong, too. The
   attached patch fixes these problems.

2) I had problems compiling GTK-ADDS.C. Here the problem seems to be
   my GTK installation (via Fink). In particular PKG-CONFIG is
   hosed. Has anyone solved this?

3) In my case DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH had to be set to /SW/LIB in
   ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist. Don't forget to logout
   afterwards.

4) OpenMCL can't compile GTK-FFI.LISP, because of functions using
   +C-NULL+. Apparently it can't dump +C-NULL+ to FASLs. Providing a
   MAKE-LOAD-FORM method as described in
   http://www.clozure.com/pipermail/openmcl-devel/2004-January/001310.html
   is supposed to fix this, but I couldn't get it to work. I'll ask on
   the OpenMCL list, if nobody beats me to it.

5) OpenMCL doesn't understand the (DECLARE (VALUES ...)) declarations
   in POD-UTILS/UTILS.LISP. The spec doesn't seem to require it,
   either. I didn't change anything, since I'm not sure if
   removing them or using a #-openmcl is better.

6) The current show stopper is GTK-INIT-CHECK. It always returns NIL,
   which might have to do with my screwed-up GTK installation, even
   though I doubt it. Other GTK applications work fine. I'm not
   sure how to find out what went wrong. I even tried to feed it
   proper ARGC and ARGV using CFFI:WITH-FOREIGN-OBJECT and friends but
   to no avail.

7) What does 'pod' mean in the context of this project? For now I'll
   go with *P*ost *O*rgasmic *D*isgust. See
   http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/Post-Orgasmic+Disgust for a
   fine selection of alternative interpretations.

Kai