[cells-devel] cello installation instructions

Ken Tilton kennytilton at optonline.net
Thu Dec 6 15:09:27 UTC 2007

Frank Goenninger wrote:
> Am 05.12.2007 um 14:59 schrieb Andy Chambers:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> What's the latest instructions for getting cello up and running?  The
>> install-notes in cvs refer to files and dlls that don't exist in the
>> repo.  Also it says to use the cells included but there is no cells
>> included.  Is there another repo/zip somewhere that is better to start
>> from?
>>
>> I saw some stuff in the mailing list about people porting to cmucl.
>> Did anything come of that in the end?  I'd like to try to get it
>> working on sbcl/linux so any pointers would be appreciated.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Andy
>

> Hi Andy -
>
> roughly (!) the following steps worked for me:

Very nice!

> Part I: Sound
>
> 1. Get OpenAL (www.openal.org), compile, and install it.
>
> Part II: Fonts
>
> 1. Get FreeType (http://www.freetype.org/freetype2/index.html),
> compile, and install it.
> 2. Get FTGL (http://ftgl.wiki.sourceforge.net/), compile, and install  it.
>
> Part III: Imaging
>
> (This all depends on what type of images you want to be able to load
> with GraphicsMagick - so it largely depends on what you choose)
>
> (order matters here ...)
>
> 1. Get JPEG lib (ftp.uu.net:/graphics/jpeg/jpegsrc.v6b.tar.gz or
> ftp.simtel.net:/pub/simtelnet/msdos/graphics/jpegsr6b.zip) - see also
> http://www.faqs.org/faqs/jpeg-faq/part2/section-15.html for more  info.
> - Compile and install it.
> 2. Get LIBPNG (http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/libpng.html), compile,  and
> install it.
> 3. Get LittleCMS (http://sourceforge.net/projects/lcms), compile ....
> blabla - you get it ;-)
> 4. Get GHOSTSCRIPT (http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?
> group_id=1897&package_id=108733)
> 5. Get LIBTIFF (http://www.libtiff.org/) ...
> 6. Get GraphicsMagick (http://www.GraphicsMagick.org/)
>
> Part IV: Cells
>
> 1. Get latest Cells (Cells 3) from CVS via anonymous access from
>     common-lisp.net:22/project/cells/cvsroot co cells
> 2. Make sure you are able to load Cells via ASDF into your Lisp
> 3. Make sure you can load and run the Cells Tests (load package cells-
> test via ASDF)
>
> Part V: Celtk
>
> 1. Get a Tcl/Tk distribution of at least version 8.5 ! (ActiveState  has
> a beta version that is ok:
>     http://www.activestate.com/Products/activetcl/beta_download.plex)
> 2. Get latest Celtk from CVS via anonymous access from
>     common-lisp.net:22/project/cells/cvsroot co celtk
> 3. Make sure you are able to Celtk via ASDF.
> 4. Make sure you can run the demos in Celtk (see file lotsa- widgets.lisp)
>
> Part VI: Cello (finally ...)

Do we need to pull down the Tcl/Tk Togl widget at this point? I also
grabbed Snack, or I think I did, not sure if that turned out be part of
the standard distro. Ah, then there is Tile, again not sure if that is
standard now.

> 1. Get latest Cello (Cello 2.0) from CVS via anonymous access from
>     common-lisp.net:22/project/cello/cvsroot co cello
> 2. Locate the sub-directory ftgl-int and compile the C DLL/Library in
> there
> 3. Locate all *config* files and adapt path names given in there for
> your environment
> 4. Load Cello via ASDF.
>
> Now you should be there. If there is any "How do I do this ?" in the
> list above I might warn you that this whole process easily can take a
> week when doing it the first time (it took me four weeks to get a  clean
> build when first porting Cello to Linux in 2003).

At one point it was possible to divide and conquer the overall effort by
first getting the demo in cl-opengl to run, than in any order cl-ftgl
and cl-magick and cl-openal, and then finally run the lighting panel.

> Cello is no "product" yet - so there's a fair amount of try and error
> in this...
>
> Hope this helps - wishing you success

Again, nice work.

kt