[cells-devel] cello installation instructions

Frank Goenninger frgo at mac.com
Thu Dec 6 10:34:19 UTC 2007

Am 05.12.2007 um 14:59 schrieb Andy Chambers:

> Hi,
>
> What's the latest instructions for getting cello up and running?  The
> install-notes in cvs refer to files and dlls that don't exist in the
> repo.  Also it says to use the cells included but there is no cells
> included.  Is there another repo/zip somewhere that is better to start
> from?
>
> I saw some stuff in the mailing list about people porting to cmucl.
> Did anything come of that in the end?  I'd like to try to get it
> working on sbcl/linux so any pointers would be appreciated.
>
> Cheers,
> Andy

Hi Andy -

roughly (!) the following steps worked for me:

Part I: Sound

1. Get OpenAL (www.openal.org), compile, and install it.

Part II: Fonts

1. Get FreeType (http://www.freetype.org/freetype2/index.html),
compile, and install it.
2. Get FTGL (http://ftgl.wiki.sourceforge.net/), compile, and install
it.

Part III: Imaging

(This all depends on what type of images you want to be able to load
with GraphicsMagick - so it largely depends on what you choose)

(order matters here ...)

1. Get JPEG lib (ftp.uu.net:/graphics/jpeg/jpegsrc.v6b.tar.gz or
ftp.simtel.net:/pub/simtelnet/msdos/graphics/jpegsr6b.zip) - see also
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/jpeg-faq/part2/section-15.html for more
info. - Compile and install it.
2. Get LIBPNG (http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/libpng.html), compile,
and install it.
3. Get LittleCMS (http://sourceforge.net/projects/lcms), compile ....
blabla - you get it ;-)
4. Get GHOSTSCRIPT (http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?
group_id=1897&package_id=108733)
5. Get LIBTIFF (http://www.libtiff.org/) ...
6. Get GraphicsMagick (http://www.GraphicsMagick.org/)

Part IV: Cells

1. Get latest Cells (Cells 3) from CVS via anonymous access from
     common-lisp.net:22/project/cells/cvsroot co cells
2. Make sure you are able to load Cells via ASDF into your Lisp
3. Make sure you can load and run the Cells Tests (load package cells-
test via ASDF)

Part V: Celtk

1. Get a Tcl/Tk distribution of at least version 8.5 ! (ActiveState
has a beta version that is ok:
     http://www.activestate.com/Products/activetcl/beta_download.plex)
2. Get latest Celtk from CVS via anonymous access from
     common-lisp.net:22/project/cells/cvsroot co celtk
3. Make sure you are able to Celtk via ASDF.
4. Make sure you can run the demos in Celtk (see file lotsa-
widgets.lisp)

Part VI: Cello (finally ...)

1. Get latest Cello (Cello 2.0) from CVS via anonymous access from
     common-lisp.net:22/project/cello/cvsroot co cello
2. Locate the sub-directory ftgl-int and compile the C DLL/Library in
there
3. Locate all *config* files and adapt path names given in there for
your environment
4. Load Cello via ASDF.

Now you should be there. If there is any "How do I do this ?" in the
list above I might warn you that this whole process easily can take a
week when doing it the first time (it took me four weeks to get a
clean build when first porting Cello to Linux in 2003).

Cello is no "product" yet - so there's a fair amount of try and error
in this...

Hope this helps - wishing you success

Frank