[cells-devel] cello installation instructions

Frank Goenninger frgo at mac.com
Thu Dec 6 15:39:24 UTC 2007

Am 06.12.2007 um 16:09 schrieb Ken Tilton:

>> Part VI: Cello (finally ...)
>
> Do we need to pull down the Tcl/Tk Togl widget at this point? I
> also grabbed Snack, or I think I did, not sure if that turned out
> be part of the standard distro. Ah, then there is Tile, again not
> sure if that is standard now.

Ah - right, the Togl stuff comes from http://togl.sourceforge.net/
and should be installed as a step in Part III.

>> 1. Get latest Cello (Cello 2.0) from CVS via anonymous access from
>>     common-lisp.net:22/project/cello/cvsroot co cello
>> 2. Locate the sub-directory ftgl-int and compile the C DLL/Library
>> in  there
>> 3. Locate all *config* files and adapt path names given in there
>> for  your environment
>> 4. Load Cello via ASDF.
>> Now you should be there. If there is any "How do I do this ?" in
>> the  list above I might warn you that this whole process easily
>> can take a  week when doing it the first time (it took me four
>> weeks to get a  clean build when first porting Cello to Linux in
>> 2003).
>
> At one point it was possible to divide and conquer the overall
> effort by first getting the demo in cl-opengl to run, than in any
> order cl-ftgl and cl-magick and cl-openal, and then finally run the
> lighting panel.

Yep. That would then be in cellodemo.

>> Cello is no "product" yet - so there's a fair amount of try and
>> error  in this...
>> Hope this helps - wishing you success
>
> Again, nice work.

The ultimate idea would be to have a Cello Installation Tool -
"Cellist" ;-) - that "just" knows your Lisp implementation and your
platform and "just" grabs the bits and pieces from some asdf-install
- supported place and incrementally builds Cello based on a few user
decision which had been gathered interactively. Yeah - dreaming away ...

Frank