[cells-devel] Request for comment and a shocking development

Kenneth Tilton ktilton at nyc.rr.com
Wed Nov 17 14:23:34 UTC 2004

It is time to tidy up the cells/cello/cvs mess I have created.

Currently the cvs repository contains the real working code in

        ~/cells/cell-cultures/xxxx

where xxxx is cells, cl-opengl, cl-ftgl, cello, etc

I am getting tired of cell-cultures, the name as well as the extra
directory level. I am thinking that the path should just be:

     ~/cells/xxxx

Nice and simple. The only oddity is ~/cells/cells, but I am not sure
that is sillier than ~/cells/cell-cultures/cells.

If no one talks me out of it, that is what I plan to do.

Now for the shocking development: Vasilis Margioulas just emailed me
cells-gtk! I have run it on windows XP without a problem, and he says
it has been tested on Linux. I am have just built gtk2 on my Mac OS X
and will give it a go over here some time today. The neat thing is that
I had no idea he was working on this. Anyway, this too might end up
under the Cells project, so I /really/ want to get the cvs tree sorted
out before pulling in cells-gtk.

btw, cello/os-x is coming along swimmingly. Until recently I had not
bothered to learn how to get Apple's Glut to work as nicely as Freeglut
in re allowing iterative development, but it turns out it was only a
few minutes work.

If the full blown Cello demos put up a fight I will likely polish up
the subsidiary components, re-port to win32, clean up the config mess,
clean up the cvs mess, and add cells-gtk before going further. I want
to make cells-gtk available ASAP, and make it easier for others to
follow/assist with the OS X port.

kenny