[Bese-devel] Re: Special variables in src/default.lisp

Luca Capello luca at pca.it
Wed May 17 03:36:29 UTC 2006

Hello!

On Mon, 15 May 2006 13:44:55 -0500, Maciek Pasternacki wrote:
> I'm not sure how does nil work here, but IMHO the default for UCW
> should be not to touch anything outside of UCW source dir.  It can
> seek configuration file in /etc/ucw/ or ~/.ucw/, but if there is no
> such file, it means I don't want to run UCW system-wide or even
> homedir-wide, but just start it and be sure it won't make mess
> anywhere else.

OK, so I think we should deeply reconsidered the default values.  The
following are the ones present in my local copy of src/default.lisp.

- (defvar *ucw-config-file* (arnesi:getenv "CONFIGFILE"))

  This is OK, I mean, if you don't specify $CONFIGIFILE this will be
  nil and so there should be no problem.

- (defvar *ucw-swank-port* 4005)

  I don't think other values should be assigned, here.

- (defvar *ucw-backend-type* :httpd)
  (defvar *ucw-backend-host* "127.0.0.1")
  (defvar *ucw-backend-port* 8080)

  As UCW should work out-of-the-box, we're obliged to assign values
  here.

- (defvar *ucw-server-class* 'standard-server)

  This wasn't even specified on the old start.lisp and AFAIK the
  standard-server is the only available.

- (defvar *ucw-applications-directory* nil)

  Maciek, you strongly agreed have this set to nil, am I right?

- (defvar *ucw-systems* '(:ucw.admin :ucw.examples))
  (defvar *ucw-applications* '(it.bese.ucw::*admin-application*
	                       it.bese.ucw-user::*example-application*))

  Probably we can leave the *admin-application* out, because of
  security, but otherwise the *example-application* is useful to have
  as UCW-working witness.

- (defvar *ucw-inspector* t)
  (defvar *ucw-debugger* t)

  I find this quite useful, especially in development.

- (defvar *ucw-log-root-directory* (or (arnesi:getenv "LOGROOT") "logs"))
  (defvar *ucw-log-level* '+INFO+)

  The former could default to (arnesi:getenv "LOGROOT"), so in case
  $LOGROOT is not specify it's nil.  In that case, however, the latter
  should be set accordingly to '+DRIBBLE+, am I correct?  So, the
  latter should be defined as something like

    (if *ucw-log-root-directory*
      (defvar *ucw-log-level* '+INFO+)
      (defvar *ucw-log-level* '+DRIBBLE+))

Maciek, should be this OK for you?  Has anyone else any other comment?

After that, what should we put in etc/conf.lisp?  ATM this is merely a
copy of src/default.lisp, but with the values defined as (setf ...).
I put again all the values in etc/conf.lisp actually because IMHO an
UCW user (either an end-one or a developer) should not directly modify
src/* files, working on etc/* ones instead.  Obviously, this doesn't
apply if the user works on patching UCW about these stuff ;-)

/me waiting for comments and suggestions in DebConf6 in Mexico :-D

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca