[Bese-devel] Special variables in src/default.lisp

Maciek Pasternacki maciekp at japhy.fnord.org
Mon May 15 18:44:55 UTC 2006

On Setting Orange, Discord 62, 3172 YOLD, Luca Capello wrote:

> now that src/default.lisp is compiled by default, I was finding a
> better default values for the two most critical variables:
> `*ucw-applications-directory*' and `*ucw-log-root-directory*'.
>
> The problem with the former is that now it defaults to
> /etc/ucw/applications.d/, thus generating an error it that folder is
> not present or the user has set it to nil or another valid folder.
> So, with a clever thinking, I think that we can default to:
>
> - nil (probably the best thing)
>
> - when empty, in order and if they exist to ~/.ucw/applications.d/ or
>   /etc/uwc/applications.d/ (nil will be the fallback)
>
> I vote for the first option, the etc/conf.lisp file is there for this
> kind of customizations ;-)

I'm not sure how does nil work here, but IMHO the default for UCW
should be not to touch anything outside of UCW source dir.  It can
seek configuration file in /etc/ucw/ or ~/.ucw/, but if there is no
such file, it means I don't want to run UCW system-wide or even
homedir-wide, but just start it and be sure it won't make mess
anywhere else.

--
__    Maciek Pasternacki <maciekp at japhy.fnord.org> [ http://japhy.fnord.org/ ]
`| _   |_\  / { ...I have a social life?