[Bese-devel] Re: ucw-extras

Henrik Hjelte henrik at evahjelte.com
Mon Mar 6 08:11:13 UTC 2006

On fre, 2006-03-03 at 14:41 -0500, Waldo Rubinstein wrote:
> Henrik,
>
> This is great.
>
> I wanted to comment on something, that I wish for no one to take it
> negatively. As a matter of fact, I should have mentioned it a few
> days ago on your original post.
>
> I come from the rubyonrails community and one place I found useful
> for code snippets, which could be or were incorporated to the rails'
> code, was http://www.bigbold.com/snippets/tags/rails. It's simple,
> but makes it easier for "newcommers" to not only look at snippets,
> but allows for more documentation to be included since it's somewhat
> informal in the process.
It looks nice with tagging and all, but ucw-extras isn't exactly large
at the moment so I don't personally see the need yet.

> Or even the concept of "plugins", which anyone can download and
> incorporate into their core rails framework. Maybe your idea could
> turn into one were people would contribute plugins to ucw, instead of
> just sparse code (http://wiki.rubyonrails.org/rails/pages/Plugins)

My idea was that you can contribute whatever you want. I'm not familiar
with rails plug-ins, the links says "A plugin is either an extension or
a modification of the core framework". If you want to contribute that,
please do.

I'm more afraid of the words "architecture" and "release schedule" on
your link. I think that there is a point in not requiring anything at
all. I think you should be able to just add something you've written
without thinking long about it. If someone else likes it they may tidy
it, add asdf files or whatever so it may grow into something more. Or it
may just be killed/yanked into your code or just be an inspiration.

> I am personally still digesting the whole ucw framework and hope to
> be able to develop functional "plugins" to share with the community.
> Hopefully in the not so distant future.
Thats great.
In line with my way of thinking, I'd say, don't wait until every line of
code is pretty as a flower. Put it in ucw-extras until you have that
extra time..

/Henrik Hjelte