[Bese-devel] Why dojo?

Ties Stuij cjstuij at gmail.com
Fri Jun 16 22:26:32 UTC 2006

On 6/16/06, Marijn Haverbeke <marijnh at gmail.com> wrote:
> I guess Dojo is a nice library, but it seems UCW only uses a bunch of
> generic utility functions from it - dojo.js is 138k, and most of it is of no
> use for the things UCW is doing. Maybe composing a subset of it and
> distributing that with UCW would be an idea?

Well actually dojo itself comes in a range of flavors from basic to
redicilously boated. Maybe you should check out the dojo website
before you start tinkering yourself.

Just a few bits of time back I just dumped the redicilously bloaded
over the basic version in ucw because:

1) the forms validation code needed dojo functions that wasn't covered
by the basic stuff and i was to lazy to check out which package would
cover it without adding unnesicary (this is not spelt right) stuff.

2) i figured that while you're developing, why constrain yourself. Use
what you need and trim in a production environment. If you know how
dojo cuts the meat of it's functionality, this shouldn't be to much of
a problem.

And why dojo? It seems to be quite modular, practical to me. Don't
know about how others feel about it. But if you want to use someting
else, there is hardly any dojo interwoven into standard ucw i thought.
Or don't use javascript at all. The ajax branch might be more
demanding though.

ps. i see that since 0.3 the dojo profiles are a bit more muffled away
than they used to be. Still they're to be found on the front page.
After a quick check it seems that the browser io package for example
sets you back 60 k in stead of 129 k which is the current size of the
ajax version, which is the version included in ucw. That is to say not
the version number but the kind of dojo. You still there? Ah well...

Greets,
Ties