[Bese-devel] Keeping the core library separate from the extensions

Marijn Haverbeke marijnh at gmail.com
Mon Jul 24 08:00:25 UTC 2006

I'd like to hear people's thoughts about the idea of making a clear
distinction between the core UCW library (request-response loop, frames,
components, actions), andl the extensions to this system (input fields,
validators, dojo stuff, some of the things Attila is brewing up in the ajax
branch), possibly also separating the extensions into different modules. I
personally think this would have the advantage of clarity, and of being able
to re-use the core in widely different ways (we're all hackers who like to
re-invent stuff) without having to 'fight' the library.

For one thing, I feel that the javascript that is generated when you make a
form call an action should be optional. It doesn't really serve a purpose in
the general case, and I'm not using it, but it is dragging in the whole dojo
dependency. I know just including dojo.js won;'t kill me, but I'm something
of an HTML minimalist who hates to have cruft in his pages that is not
necessary. (I can't help it.) I still haven't really studied the ajax
branch, but I'm a bit worried that there will be a rather strong coupling
between Attila vision of an UCW app and the library itself.

Hope to hear your reactions,
Marijn