[Bese-devel] Re: New patches to ucw_dev: 9-Aug-2006

Marco Baringer mb at bese.it
Thu Aug 10 19:57:08 UTC 2006

"Attila Lendvai" <attila.lendvai at gmail.com> writes:

> - i'm not sure about the public usefulness of it, because it only
>   allows a static set of extra attributes which is not enough most of
>   the time. and there's already a more general solution for this in
>   the ajax branch, a new protocol method called render-widget-wrapper
>   that can be specialized, overridden, etc.  dojo-widget.lisp uses it
>   to customize the rendering of the dojo div's.

i agree with this. the patch, as suggested, looks like an app specific
hack, and not something sufficently general enough to be adaptable to
other situations where messing with attributes and tags is required.

> solutions:
> - readd the patch; see issues above. plus consider that it's a transient
>   situation until the render-widget-wrapper patch reaches dev.

as it stands this probably what should be done. the patch does, after
all, solve some problems and we know it's gonig to go away eventually.

> - darcs level; don't pull the UNDO patch, or pull it and overwrite
> the file in your
>   local repo keeping it as a pending change. or what i do: keep a
> local 'official'
>   ucw repo with patches that are not pushed, and not pulling patches into it.
>   for example i have a 'hack' (not generally useful at least) patch for ages
>   that makes (make-instance 'standard-component) work outside a valid
>   *context*, because there are places in my code where i need :component
>   slots, but it's not factored out from standard-component. i keep this patch
>   in my local ucw repo that my collegues are pulling from instead of the
>   official ucw repo.

as a general management and programming practice this is what i'd
suggest doing. i personally have _many_ ucw branchs, one, or even two,
for each major project with a number of small app specific changes to
ucw.

Forget your perfect offering.