[Bese-devel] New patches to ucw_dev: 9-Aug-2006

Attila Lendvai attila.lendvai at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 09:49:50 UTC 2006

> >  UNDO: extra-tags slot added to html-element for the of (@ ..) tag. widget-component fixed accordingly to include extra-tags.
> >
> >    M ./src/components/html-element.lisp -5
> >    M ./src/components/widget.lisp -3 +1
> >

> Oh great. It seems i've screwed up yesterday, sorry Attila. i am using
> this extra-tags for extra dojo attributes:( Could you explain once more
> why you didin't like this? Do you want a name change? I am definetly
> needing this in repo.

see possible solutions at the end.

issues:
 - name; non-issue, can be renamed

 - i'm not sure about the public usefulness of it, because it only
allows a static
   set of extra attributes which is not enough most of the time. and
there's already
   a more general solution for this in the ajax branch, a new protocol
method called
   render-widget-wrapper that can be specialized, overridden, etc.
dojo-widget.lisp
   uses it to customize the rendering of the dojo div's.

 - causes darcs-level conflicts; non-issue, in that it's already a
conflict, but luckily
   there were not too many changes in widget.lisp to take days to pull
it, like the
   yaclml cleanup patch that changes ucw-tags.lisp, and i'm pulling
for several days
   now... :|

solutions:
 - readd the patch; see issues above. plus consider that it's a transient
   situation until the render-widget-wrapper patch reaches dev.

 - darcs level; don't pull the UNDO patch, or pull it and overwrite
the file in your
   local repo keeping it as a pending change. or what i do: keep a
local 'official'
   ucw repo with patches that are not pushed, and not pulling patches into it.
   for example i have a 'hack' (not generally useful at least) patch for ages
   that makes (make-instance 'standard-component) work outside a valid
   *context*, because there are places in my code where i need :component
   slots, but it's not factored out from standard-component. i keep this patch
   in my local ucw repo that my collegues are pulling from instead of the
   official ucw repo.

 - lisp level; redefine ucw's widget stuff in the project  where you
need it. i also
   do that most of the time when i need to change something in a project that
   makes my life a lot easier, but i'm not sure about the public usefullness of
   the change. then i usually open a ucw-patches.lisp file in my project and add
   redefinitions that only my project needs. you could even paste the new widget
   stuff from the ajax branch there, with a TODO note.

 - copy the widget stuff into your project's package

hth,

--
- attila

"- The truth is that I've been too considerate, and so became
unintentionally cruel...
 - I understand.
 - No, you don't understand! We don't speak the same language!"

Ingmar Bergman - Smultronstället (Wild Strawberries)