[Bese-devel] Counter doesn't work in ucw 0.39: Can't find function "make-standard-environment"

Marco Baringer mb at bese.it
Mon May 16 09:23:49 UTC 2005

Ben Matasar <matasar at gmail.com> writes:

> I've been playing a bit with UCW under OpenMCL 14.3 on a mac running
> Tiger (aka 10.4), and all of the example applications run fine except
> for the counter, which fails citing:

(ot: you suggest buying 10.4.0 or waiting for 10.4.1?)

> "Undefined function IT.BESE.UCW::MAKE-STANDARD-ENVIRONMENT called with
> arguments (((IT.BESE.UCW:COMPONENT . #<IT.BESE.UCW-USER::COUNTER
> #x687D34E>)) #<IT.BESE.UCW-USER::COUNTER #x687D34E>)"
>
> In emacs I get the choice to do several things, including send a
> backtrace page to the user (which is extremely cool, btw).

it'll be even cooler when (if) that backtrace page gives you a list of
restarts...

> I also tried to build a simple hello component and got a similar
> error.  I've tried both the araneida and httpd backends, and it
> doesn't work with either one.  I can send the full backtrace to the
> list if necessary.
>
> My question is: Am I configuring things improperly?

Just before releasing 0.3.9 i renamed enviroment to enviroNment in the
ucw and yaclml source code, since you get an error about
make-standard-environment (notice the correct spelling of environment)
my guess is that you have an up-to-date ucw but an out-of-date yaclml.

1) make sure you have exactly one copy of yaclml installed

2) make sure the copy of yaclml asdf is using is the one shipped with
   ucw. you can check this by looking at the path returned by:

   (asdf:component-pathname (asdf:find-system :yaclml))

   and making user that it's under the ucw 0.3.9 tree.

3) open up ucw_0.3.9/libs/yaclml/src/tal/tal-environment.lisp and make
   sure the environment is correctly spelled.

4) if you successfully get here then i f__ked up something along tha
   way and you're entitled to: 1) mail a complete backtrace (show the
   local variables) 2) drink to forget :)