Build Debian release file?

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.info
Sun Jul 4 17:21:33 UTC 2021

On 3 Jul 2021, at 12:46, Robert Goldman wrote:

> On 3 Jul 2021, at 11:56, Eric Timmons wrote:
>
>> "Robert Goldman" <rpgoldman at sift.info> writes:
>>
>>> Is anyone out there willing and able to build the Debian library for
>>> 3.3.5?  It's not something I am able to do myself.
>>>
>>> Eric T -- is there any chance we could put the Debian build process
>>> into
>>> the CI?
>>
>> Yeah, that should be possible. How is it built? I saw a
>> debian-package
>> target in the Makefile, but near as I can tell it doesn't do
>> anything.
>>

> To me it looks like the Debian building process got moved into
> `tools/release.lisp` and not restored when I rolled back to using the
> shell and `Makefile` (I was never able to get the lisp scripting code
> to work reliably for me, nor could I figure out how to debug it).
>
> I can see if I can de-lisp it for the moment and put it back in the
> top level `Makefile`.

I had a shot at it, and I don't have a great understanding of how to
write a Makefile. In the lisp code for the rule there's a bit of code
that checks for a clean working directory that I have not been able to
replicate (stuck dealing with the fact that a bash string has an extra
space at the end (🤷🏻‍).  I will commit this into a merge
request, but it is *definitely* a work in progress.  Maybe someone else
can figure it out.