Jenkins expertise?

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.info
Fri Oct 16 18:38:14 UTC 2020

On 16 Oct 2020, at 13:13, Eric Timmons wrote:

> "Robert Goldman" <rpgoldman at sift.info> writes:
>
>> In mine, I simply set the environment variables `ASDF_TEST_LISPS` and
>> the variables that point to the lisp implementations.  Then I call
>> `make
>> test-all-no-upgrades-no-stop`.
>
> Just to clarify, it sounds from this that you don't actually care if
> the
> upgrade tests are run? Do you ever want to run them via CI? As it
> currently stands they're the slowest jobs, so finding some way to
> reduce
> the number of times they're run would be a win.

I run them rarely, and usually only close to a release.  Or sometimes I
run them just on SBCL, hoping that because SBCL tries to hold tight to
the standard, it will be a good diagnostic tool.

But note that I typically run with an up-to-date version in my daily
work, so I get a chance to see if what's shipping in ACL, SBCL, and CCL
is going to cause problems with the upgrade (e.g., I'm not sure that CCL
11.1 is still upgradeable).

I think we could stick with the normal tests, and run upgrade rarely
(maybe weekly at a time that's likely to see low load at cl.net?)