Oddities in ECL tests on Linux

Marius Gerbershagen marius.gerbershagen at gmail.com
Sun Aug 26 17:05:01 UTC 2018

Hi Robert,

Am 23.08.2018 um 22:22 schrieb Robert Goldman:
> My Jenkins job is failing to test ECL successfully.  What's interesting
> is that it looks like the tests are successful, but the checker is
> failing.  Here's what I see in the transcript:
>
> These two expressions fail comparison with EQUAL:
>  (UIOP/UTILITY:NEST (LISP-INVOCATION/LISP-INVOCATION:INVOKE-LISP :IMPLEMENTATION-TYPE (LISP-INVOCATION/ALLEGRO-VARIANTS:CURRENT-LISP-VARIANT) :CROSS-COMPILE NIL :IMAGE-PATH (UIOP/FILESYSTEM:NATIVE-NAMESTRING ASDF-TEST::IMG) :CONSOLE T :EVAL "(uiop:restore-image :entry-point 'hello:entry-point :lisp-interaction nil)" :RUN-PROGRAM-ARGS '(:OUTPUT :LINES :ERROR-OUTPUT T))) evaluates to ("No restarts available." "" "Top level in: #<process TOP-LEVEL>." "> ")
>  '("hello, world") evaluates to ("hello, world")

Do you have any more information on your Jenkins job (what it does
differently than a plain run of `make test l=ecl` and how to reproduce
the failure)?

> Oddly, when I try to run this at the command line, ECL throws to the
> interactive debugger on various signals and I have to restart it, before
>
> make test l=ecl
>
> will terminate successfully.

I can't reproduce this, for me the tests run fine without being thrown
in the debugger. I only get two harmlessly looking test failures
(test-program.script and test-require.script).

> I think I have seen this before, and it may be that ECL implicitly
> assumes that there will be some kind of C compilation tool chain present
> that I don't have, but I'm not sure about that.

Well if you don't have a C compiler installed, ECL can not compile
anything unless you run `(ext:install-bytecodes-compiler)`. However,
asdf already contains a test target for the bytecodes compiler with
`make test l=ecl_bytecodes` (which will unfortunately fail at the moment
unless you apply the fix at
https://gitlab.com/embeddable-common-lisp/ecl/merge_requests/118).

> Suggestions for debugging would be welcome.

Best regards,
Marius Gerbershagen