asdf on windows

fare windeau fwindeau at gmail.com
Sun Nov 20 00:07:06 UTC 2016

So, I was hearing the pain of Elias and Robert trying to run tests on
Windows, so I dual-booted in Windows, and here is my progress report:

* I had to fix the .bat files to fix a typo (if exists should have been if
exist) and put quotes around variable expansions to protect against the
path containing a space (a frequent occurrence, between Program Files and
usernames with spaces).
* I had to remove the .exe from asdf-tools' :build-pathname, which was
redundant with the .exe added by bundle.lisp, so as not to have
asdf-tools.exe.exe
* I passed all tests when running using ccl 1.11 for asdf-tools and either
ccl or sbcl as the target. But I had to 1- export CCL=/path/to/wx86cl64.exe
(and/or just export CCL=wx86cl64.exe and put it in the PATH) (using a
ccl.bat script would fail some tests), and 2- use a cygwin window, because
ccl fails to (quit) when in a cmd.exe window and has to be killed by the
task manager (I once had it fail to quit in cygwin, but could Ctrl-C it
dead) (I'll report the bug on the clozure.com site when I get my normal
credentials back).
* When using sbcl as asdf-tools, some run-program issue prevents invocation
of programs, probably due to quoting issues and spaces in executable
pathnames.

I'll see if I can kluge my way around SBCL run-program bugs using cmd /s
/c. Or muster the courage of fixing SBCL (unlikely considering that when I
send patches to SBCL they remain unmerged for years).

-#f