:FEATURE dependency-def

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Fri May 20 19:23:35 UTC 2016

On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 1:11 PM, Didier Verna <didier at lrde.epita.fr> wrote:
> François-René ÐVB Rideau wrote:
>
>> The traditional solution is to load a file that fails.  i.e. create a
>> file unsupported-implementation.lisp that has an (error ...) form and
>> in your asd file, use a component (:file "unsupported-implementation"
>> :if-feature (:not :sbcl))
>
>   Hmmm, ok but then, if you're to error in a Lisp file proper, why use
>   the ASDF logic at all? I mean, why not just depend on the file as a
>   regular one and perform all the tests that you need from Lisp code?

The reason to use ASDF logic would be to have multiple files,
one for each implementation, and a fallback file for unsupported
implementations.

You can also wholly avoid ASDF logic, by using your own build script,
or using Bazel.
One advantage of Bazel is that it currently only supports SBCL,
so you don't have to support other implementations.

Certainly the game is rigged. Don't let that stop you;
if you don't bet, you can't win.
       — Robert Heinlein, "Time Enough For Love"