ASDF status for 3.1.7 release

Robert P. Goldman rpgoldman at sift.net
Wed Mar 30 20:55:56 UTC 2016

Unfortunately, the build went south for me at the first introduction of the precompilation into the build, so stable never happened for me.

TBH, I would suggest the building happen outside the ASDF repository entirely. Scripting isn't part of the ASDF objective, so I think having a scripting engine that one installs separately would make a lot of sense. The ASDF build tools are like bundling building of bash together with the"make" tool's build and maintenance.

That said, even if the build tools were restructured, I wouldn't use them. They have been too rickety for me. They have failed one too many times, and I'm not going back.

I am also unwilling to learn a new scripting framework, especially one under active development.

Sorry, but she'll scripting for me isn't broken enough for me to enter into the project of developing a new alternative to perl and python. My active research is in other fields. I'd be interested to see what you all come up with, but right now I have other priorities.
Best,