ASDF status for 3.1.7 release

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 20:30:11 UTC 2016

On Wed, Mar 30, 2016 at 3:39 PM, Attila Lendvai <attila at lendvai.name> wrote:
>> The warts are mostly related to bootstrap issues when you're modifying
>> asdf itself.
>
> i don't see the whole problem, but maybe the bootstrap script could
> check out the latest stable tag/branch into the build/ tmp directory,
> and compile asdf-tools while inside that asdf repo state?

That's a possibility. I kind of wanted basic functionality to work
even when git is not present though, for cases where e.g. a tarball is
used, or a rsync/scp of the checkout onto a test machine.

My compromise of "build asdf-tools while you know you have a stable
asdf" seemed good to me, but admittedly it's a cognitive burden on
other maintainers, too.

Luck occurs when preparedness meets opportunity.