Suggestions for procedure going forward

Kambiz Darabi darabi at m-creations.com
Wed Nov 18 07:37:10 UTC 2015

On 2015-11-17 18:11 CET, Robert Goldman <rpgoldman at sift.net> wrote:

> [...]
> So I'd like to split ASDF development into stable and testing or
> something like that.
>
> Does anyone have experience doing that?  If so, please post suggestions
> for process to ASDF-devel.

If we have to support version 3.x and 4.y of a code base, then we create
a 'release-3' branch at feature freeze time and keep it after release,
so 3.1, 3.2 etc. are created from the tip of 'release-3' where we
cherry-pick (mostly bugfix) changes from master.

In the meantime, development of version 4 continues in master and when
we freeze the features for that version, we create a 'release-4' branch
which is then curated until 4.1 can be released.

This is a quite transparent model which most developers understand
immediately.

HTH

Kambiz