[Asdf-devel] ASDF 3.1.4 released today

Faré fare at tunes.org
Sat Oct 11 18:06:53 UTC 2014

On Sat, Oct 11, 2014 at 1:24 PM, Kambiz Darabi <darabi at m-creations.com> wrote:
>> 1- When you comment out (--git-upstream-tag="%(version)s"), which tree
>> does it use as upstream? The current one? I suppose that will work.
> It uses upstream/3.1.4. I renamed the upstream origin to point at my
> github fork.

OK. So you can play git tag -f games with upstream/ which doesn't impact
Robert's ability to tag 3.1.4. Nice.

>> 2- What does --git-submodule do? Is it supposed to include the
>> contents of ext/ in the tarball?
>
> If you mean cl-asdf_3.1.4.orig.tar.gz, then yes, it includes the content
> of ext/ in the tarball.
>
> How else could people apt-get source cl-asdf and be able to build the
> package themselves?

I don't believe you need it at all: the asdf-tools script is required
for doing the magic git manipulations that create the files
constituting the debian package (*.dsc, *.orig.tar.gz, ...), but once
you have them, you don't need asdf-tools anymore, nor any of its
dependencies. The debian build scripts do NOT invoke asdf-tools. Only
the release process uses it, and it's done by the maintainer and/or
you, not by debian users.

>> Is the issue that otherwise robots can't build the package
>> because the asdf-tools are used at build time and then we need to
>> package each of the dependencies in its own .deb? But I believe we are
>> NOT using the asdf-tools at package build time, only while extracting
>> the package from source.
>
> IIUC, asdf-tools are needed for the build process itself, so they should
> be part of the source package such that a debian user who would like to
> build the package him/herself would be able to do so.
>
> And because the .gitmodules information is lost during debian packaging,
> it is necessary to have the code of the ext/ submodules in the
> .orig.tar.gz. Otherwise nobody could build the package without hunting
> the dependencies.
>
> Or do I misunderstand something?

Right now there is no use of asdf-tools in the debian build process.
If there ever is, the Right Thing(tm) to do would be to use dim's
quicklisp-to-debian scripts to package each of the dependencies and
include them as builddeps, and NOT to use ext/ for this purpose.

Suicidal terrorists may have short shelf lives.  — John McCarthy