[Asdf-devel] ASDF 3.1.4 released today

Kambiz Darabi darabi at m-creations.com
Sat Oct 11 17:24:53 UTC 2014

Hi Faré,

On 2014-10-11 16:55 CEST, Faré <fare at tunes.org> wrote:

> Looking at your patch
> https://github.com/darabi/asdf/commit/3e57db9e1e3488ed0269ea1d301fa29f0b83ed4e
>
> 1- When you comment out (--git-upstream-tag="%(version)s"), which tree
> does it use as upstream? The current one? I suppose that will work.

It uses upstream/3.1.4. I renamed the upstream origin to point at my
github fork.

> 2- What does --git-submodule do? Is it supposed to include the
> contents of ext/ in the tarball?

If you mean cl-asdf_3.1.4.orig.tar.gz, then yes, it includes the content
of ext/ in the tarball.

How else could people apt-get source cl-asdf and be able to build the
package themselves?

> That's something we explicitly do NOT
> want in general — at least, we want to NOT include any of them in the
> .all.deb.

_all.deb is another story: it contains the subdirectories which are
specified explicitly in debian/cl-asdf.dirs:

build/
uiop/
uiop/contrib/
contrib/
tools/

> Is the issue that otherwise robots can't build the package
> because the asdf-tools are used at build time and then we need to
> package each of the dependencies in its own .deb? But I believe we are
> NOT using the asdf-tools at package build time, only while extracting
> the package from source.

IIUC, asdf-tools are needed for the build process itself, so they should
be part of the source package such that a debian user who would like to
build the package him/herself would be able to do so.

And because the .gitmodules information is lost during debian packaging,
it is necessary to have the code of the ext/ submodules in the
.orig.tar.gz. Otherwise nobody could build the package without hunting
the dependencies.

Or do I misunderstand something?

Kambiz