[asdf-devel] Alternate default lisp system location

Stelian Ionescu sionescu at cddr.org
Wed Mar 12 14:53:21 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2014-03-12 at 09:20 -0500, Robert P. Goldman wrote:
> Stelian Ionescu wrote:
> > 1) install Quicklisp, it's easy and painless
> > 2) put your projects in $QUICKLISPDIR/local-projects/
> >
> > done.
>
> I get you, but I don't like it.
>
> That's like saying "I want to make my first C program." "OK, let me
> teach you how to use apt-get."

Yes, and it's a very good idea to do just that because either you want
to use ASDF to load other libraries in which case you need QL, or a
simple file will suffice.

> Maybe this is the right answer, but it's not a path to getting a minimal
> understandable config for ASDF.  All that's happening here is that
> Quicklisp is hiding the complexity.

Which is very good. People that write .asd files aren't beginners.

> I am reminded of Clojure: "I want to write my first Clojure program,
> what do I do?"  "First learn how Leiningen works."

Yes.
Want to learn node.js ? Use npm.
Want to learn ruby ? Use gems.
Want to learn python ? Use pip.
etc...

> I am happy for people to tell novices to start with Quicklisp, don't get
> me wrong.  And if that's their path into programming, instead of
> starting through ASDF, I'm fine with that, too.  But it doesn't remove
> the need for a trivial path into ASDF.

> Your email does suggest that ~/asdf-local-projects/ might be a suitable
> location...
>
> Similarly, it's unacceptable to have as the first instruction in our
> manual "go off, find and install a script that configures our tool."
> That means that we have failed to provide an easily configurable tool.

What you want to provide is not an easily configurable tool, but an
already-configured tool.

--
Stelian Ionescu a.k.a. fe[nl]ix