[asdf-devel] Alternate default lisp system location

Robert P. Goldman rpgoldman at sift.info
Wed Mar 12 14:20:33 UTC 2014

Stelian Ionescu wrote:
> 1) install Quicklisp, it's easy and painless
> 2) put your projects in $QUICKLISPDIR/local-projects/
>
> done.

I get you, but I don't like it.

That's like saying "I want to make my first C program." "OK, let me
teach you how to use apt-get."

Maybe this is the right answer, but it's not a path to getting a minimal
understandable config for ASDF.  All that's happening here is that
Quicklisp is hiding the complexity.

I am reminded of Clojure: "I want to write my first Clojure program,
what do I do?"  "First learn how Leiningen works."

I am happy for people to tell novices to start with Quicklisp, don't get
me wrong.  And if that's their path into programming, instead of
starting through ASDF, I'm fine with that, too.  But it doesn't remove
the need for a trivial path into ASDF.

Your email does suggest that ~/asdf-local-projects/ might be a suitable
location...

Similarly, it's unacceptable to have as the first instruction in our
manual "go off, find and install a script that configures our tool."
That means that we have failed to provide an easily configurable tool.

I appreciate your thoughts, but they haven't yet pushed me away from the
default directory solution.

Best,