[asdf-devel] Alternate default lisp system location

Pascal Costanza pc at p-cos.net
Wed Mar 12 20:19:10 UTC 2014

asdf is not a tool for beginners. Beginners will either deal with a bare Common Lisp implementation, or they want to experiment with third-party libraries, in which case they want to use quicklisp these days. Once you need to define your own systems, you're not a beginner anymore, and a good tutorial helps a lot more than any supporting wheels can. It's already hard enough to ensure that asdf doesn't accidentally find systems you don't want it to find, you shouldn't make it even harder.

On top of that, with the proposed scheme, you will create a situation where there are not only two "default" locations for user-defined systems, but three when quicklisp is active. I find it hard to imagine that beginners will find this easy to grasp.

Just my 0.02€...

Pascal

Sent from my iPad