[asdf-devel] Alternate default lisp system location

james anderson james.anderson at setf.de
Thu Mar 13 10:15:32 UTC 2014

good morning;

On 13 Mar 2014, at 08:34, Attila Lendvai <attila.lendvai at gmail.com> wrote:

>> I *do* get the objection that Pascal had, and I absolutely agree that we
>> should not choose a directory name that will collide with existing
>> users' directories.
>

> […]
>
> but hopefully by the time my children are old enough for programming
> computing systems will have finally obsoleted this silly idea that the
> base axioms for data storage is labeled binary numbers, and their
> labels organized into a tree... and with that rendering this whole
> question moot. hopefully...

one suspects, should that ever come to pass, the proponents will have necessarily admitted to the principle of orthogonal composition.

a notion from which asdf could benefit and which could well contribute to a coherent description of what problem the topic of this thread is intended to solve and perhaps even a case for why asdf must solve it.

i had the recent experience, that a colleague concluded it would be appropriate to bring some bit of cl infrastructure up to ubuntu’s latest version only to discover that the change introduced some “feature” which broke our build.
i suspect it may have had something to do with yet another search and/or registry mechanism.
i did not bother to find out, but pondered momentarily the same question as comes to mind in reaction to many of the threads here: do you gentlemen have no real work to do?
fortunately, a downgrade and a directory deletion was sufficient to allow us to proceed with ours.

best regards, from berlin,