[asdf-devel] Alternate default lisp system location

Robert P. Goldman rpgoldman at sift.info
Wed Mar 12 13:00:45 UTC 2014

Pascal Costanza wrote:
> I'm expecting asdf to suddenly see asd files that it shouldn't. (In my configuration, only ~/lisp/develop/ contains "active" systems, the rest of ~/lisp may contain "inactive" ones - for example, alternate versions of the same systems.)

Can you clarify?

Do you tell ASDF to load from particular subdirectories of ~/lisp/, but
allow it to load from the default directory as well (instead of ignoring
the inherited directories)?

I do not use the DSL, being entrenched in use of
ASDF:*CENTRAL-REGISTRY*, so I am not familiar with many users' practice.
 I suppose if one uses the DSL, one is likely to not use
:IGNORE-INHERITED-CONFIGURATION...

This suggests, regrettably, that using obvious directory names, such as
~/common-lisp/ might not be a good idea.

So we are searching for a directory name to use that will:

a. Be visible to standard directory listers, both graphical and textual
b. Not introduce more confusion -- so no ~/quux/
c. Not already be in use by many, ideally any, users.

I suggest that this means we should use something that has "asdf" in its
name.  Such as

asdf-src
cl-asdf-src
cl-src-asdf

I am open for suggestions.

I just stumbled on this when editing the manual (I will try to push my
edits today): I was sort of cringing at the idea of telling users they
should "just" put their systems in

~/.local/share/common-lisp/source

which did not seem like something that anyone not wedded to XDG would
even consider....

Suggestions welcome!  Pascal, I appreciate your engaging in this
discussion: your participation will lead to better decision making.

best,