[asdf-devel] Alternate default lisp system location

Daniel Herring dherring at tentpost.com
Thu Mar 13 02:54:58 UTC 2014

On Wed, 12 Mar 2014, Faré wrote:

> 1- I think we should proceed and add a default path anyway.
>  ~/cl/ and/or ~/common-lisp/ sound fine to me, and I've seen no one
> complain about that.
>  You could make it ~/local/common-lisp/ if you're into larger paths.

The computer I'm currently on uses ~/lisp for a lot of non-ASDF-related
systems, including numerous files that are not source code.  On some other
systems, I use paths like ~/cl to distinguish from ~/racket and other
dialects.

I agree with others who dislike this idea.  ASDF will inflict significant
end-user pain for little benefit if it chooses to do a land grab on an
obvious directory name.

In my opinion, a lot of the complexity in ASDF, and a lot the motivation
for this proposal, stems from ASDF's conflation of the "loader" with the
"build system".  That's the topic for another post...

- Daniel