[asdf-devel] Alternate default lisp system location

Robert P. Goldman rpgoldman at sift.info
Wed Mar 12 12:50:57 UTC 2014

Pascal Costanza wrote:
> This has the potential of messing up already existing configurations (again!). The choice of ~/lisp would certainly mess up mine, and I can imagine many other scenarios. Please don't do that.

[By "this" we mean "by default searching ~/common-lisp/ and/or ~/cl/ for
source files when loading ASDF systems."]

Can you explain why this would mess up your existing configurations and
what you would prefer?

The problem with the current default location is that it's in a
directory that's hidden by default.  So 'ls' and graphical file browsers
would (in their default mode), hide the user's source code. [It is
possible that hiding configuration files is a Good Thing; I can't
imagine a world in which hiding my source code from me is a Good Thing.]

Since this is a *default*, this would not clash with any existing
configurations in which the user has configured system search locations
by hand.

Since this would be an *alternate* default, it should not clash with
existing configurations that use the current default location,
~/.local/share/common-lisp/source

This is the reasoning behind my proposal. If there is something I'm
missing or something I have wrong, I would certainly like to know now,
before any changes are made and released to the world.

Thank you,
Robert