[asdf-devel] testing uiop:enable-deferred-warnings-check with cl-test-grid

Anton Vodonosov avodonosov at yandex.ru
Wed Feb 12 22:16:39 UTC 2014

13.02.2014, 01:09, "Faré" <fare at tunes.org>:
> On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 8:43 AM, Anton Vodonosov <avodonosov at yandex.ru> wrote:
>
>>  But let me first understand what is this "no applicable method ASDF/COMPONENT:COMPONENT-CHILDREN"
>>  error and why it wasn't detected previously.
>
> It's a bug I introduced in 3.1.0.56 with the backward-compatible
> propagation of unqualified operations, and just fixed in 3.1.0.66,
> together with a regression test. Oops.
>
> Thanks again for suggesting the original fix, and my apologies for not
> getting it right the first time over.

You are welcome. And the bug is quite subtle, totally understandable.

Why it was not detected, as I said, I probably made a mistake when
configuring test environment and tested not with some relatevely new ASDF,
but not ASDF 3.1.0.63

To protect from such problems in the future I modified cl-test-grid
to print ASDF version at header of every test log, so we will be
able to verify what ASDF was tested.

I updated the report with CMUCL and CLISP results, and
annotated all the "no applicable method ASDF/COMPONENT:COMPONENT-CHILDREN"
failures to distinguish them easily:
http://common-lisp.net/project/cl-test-grid/asdf/asdf-diff-31.html

The most of the remaining failures should be caused by enabled deferred warnings check.
So despite the COMPONENT-CHILDRED bug, the report provides at least preliminary view of the situation
with warnings.

I have started tests for new quicklisp 2014-02-11 on our server.
Then I plan to test the very latest ASDF against that quicklisp version,
to ensure ASDF have no regressions for the newer version of libraries.

Then to test the with enabled deferred warnings check and with :use :uiop in :asdf-user.

Notes about warnings:
- check out the cambl-test failures in the reports above,
  it signals some strange errors that cambl-test.sbcl-warnings is closed,
  cambl-test.cmucl-warnings is closed, and 'There is no package named "CAMBL-TEST"'
  when doing CHECK-DEFERRED-WARNINGS on cambl-test.ccl-warnings"

- Fare, unfortunately it might be the case that since you did the huge effort of informing
  library authors about deferred warnings, some of the libraries might be fixed,
  but maybe some others have introduced warnings and became broken when the deferred
  warning check is enabled.

Best regards,
- Anton