[asdf-devel] testing uiop:enable-deferred-warnings-check with cl-test-grid

Faré fare at tunes.org
Thu Feb 13 00:09:35 UTC 2014

On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 5:16 PM, Anton Vodonosov <avodonosov at yandex.ru> wrote:
> http://common-lisp.net/project/cl-test-grid/asdf/asdf-diff-31.html
>
> - check out the cambl-test failures in the reports above,
>   it signals some strange errors that cambl-test.sbcl-warnings is closed,
>   cambl-test.cmucl-warnings is closed, and 'There is no package named "CAMBL-TEST"'
>   when doing CHECK-DEFERRED-WARNINGS on cambl-test.ccl-warnings"

It looks like CAMBL-TEST has genuine bugs. Maybe the variable
*EUROPEAN-STYLE* is never defined,
maybe it's defined in a file that is not a dependency and ends up
being loaded after rather than before mention,
in either case that's a bug. I wouldn't be surprised that the user
assumed :serial t but didn't specify it,
and that the missing package has the same cause. If you didn't build
from clean, that makes ever more sense.

> - Fare, unfortunately it might be the case that since you did the huge effort of informing
>   library authors about deferred warnings, some of the libraries might be fixed,
>   but maybe some others have introduced warnings and became broken when the deferred
>   warning check is enabled.

Yes, this immensely frustrating experience was educating indeed.
Upgrade can never be synchronous.
If a future ASDF developer wants to tighten the compiler static
checking, he will have to provide
either a set of default overrides for known old versions of existing
systems, or a way for quicklisp
to slacken the checks around its packages, or both. In any case, some
out-of-band configuration controls.

Progress doesn't come from early risers — progress is made by lazy men
looking for easier ways to do things. — Robert Heinlein