[asdf-devel] Alternate default lisp system location

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Fri Feb 28 08:28:10 UTC 2014

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 11:30 PM, Robert P. Goldman <rpgoldman at sift.info> wrote:
> How would you all feel about an alternate default location for lisp
> systems, in addition to
>
> ~/.local/share/common-lisp/source/

I hesitated about it, but ended not promoting something.
I personally use ~/cl/ but I fear it's too short.
Others use ~/lisp/ but I fear it's not common-lisp specific enough.
There is no agreed upon answer.
The most common location these days seems to be ~/quicklisp/local-projects/

> I'm sure that .local was chosen out of the (in)finite wisdom of XDG, but
> it just seems odd to me to hide the lisp systems from the user, which we
> are doing by putting them in a location that requires ls -a.

XDG purposefully chose to put runtime files out of sight of mere users.
Thing is, CL developers want the source code in sight, unlike mere users.
In the past, I've had ~/.local/share/common-lisp/source/ be a symlink to ~/cl/
but that interfered with cl-launch's "magic" default installation parameters.

> After all, these are systems, not configuration files.

One man's precious source code is another man's noisy ancillary files.

> What about ~/asdf-systems which doesn't make the poor user play peekaboo?

What an ugly name, likely to confuse those who don't know, and to
annoy those who do.
Can we make it ~/common-lisp/ at least?

> I came across this while editing the manual. I don't use this directory
> myself; maybe everyone loves it.  Or maybe no one uses the standard
> default, and I shouldn't care.

Good luck.

Procrastination is great. It gives me a lot more time
to do things that I'm never going to do.