[Asdf-devel] Merging experimental-submodules

Kambiz Darabi darabi at m-creations.com
Sat Aug 30 13:12:08 UTC 2014

Hello,

with apologies for not having done the job in the first place, I would
recommend using subtrees [1] instead of submodules. The most promiment
difference for people who check out and use the repo is that they don't
have to deal with 'git submodule init, git submodule update'.

The subtree is already in the checked out source as if it was an
integral part of it, and it is fixed to a certain commit at the time
when the git subtree command was issued by the maintainer(s) which
minimises the risk of checking out an incompatible version with git
submodule update.

I have pushed an updated version of your experimental-submodules branch

https://github.com/darabi/asdf/commits/experimental-submodules

As you can see, all files are already present:

https://github.com/darabi/asdf/tree/experimental-submodules/ext/cl-ppcre

With git subtree split, it is easily possible to fix bugs in the ext/*
repos and contribute them back to the original repo.

I will update the README with the exact commands which were necessary to
create the subtrees and which ones to use to update/split the repos, if
that file is the correct place for the documentation (maybe you would
prefer having one single README at the top-leve).

Cheers

Kambiz

[1] https://github.com/git/git/blob/master/contrib/subtree/git-subtree.txt