[Asdf-devel] startup times and initialize-source-registry

Ben Hyde bhyde at pobox.com
Wed Aug 27 17:57:47 UTC 2014

On Aug 27, 2014, at 1:35 PM, Faré <fahree at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 1:11 PM, Ben Hyde <bhyde at pobox.com> wrote:
>> My cl-launch scripts can take one second.
>>
>> I can trim a half second off that with a disk-cache[2] of *source-registry*.
>>
> I'm jealous. Your machine is almost 25% faster than mine.

weird, it’s nothing special.   I bought something I could hold
it open with one hand while hitting staff with the other.  http://j.mp/1lfhMwY

>> [2] A proof of concept disk cache...
>>
>> https://gist.github.com/bhyde/526c5acb38f341d60dba
>>
> The cache should ideally be per source-registry entry;
> and managed by the same entity that manages said entry.
> Thus, I was thinking of an optional second form
> in cl-source-registry.conf file.
> Or a separate .cl-source-registry.cache file.

I saw that.  i’m ambivalent about the complexity.

>> So, anytime somebody rearranges the set of asdf systems they
>> are expected to invoke reset-quickasdf.
>>

>> quickasdf horrible name - but it bemused me at the time.
>>
> Ouch.

I love achieving my goals.

> Calling initialize-source-registry directly from the repl takes
>> 0.47 seconds without the diskcache and .004 seconds with it.
>>
> Yes, that's the general thing I'm thinking about:
> kind of back to the concept of link farms

Any insta-theories for where other half second comes from?

- ben

"Since English is a mess, it maps well onto the problem space,  which is also a mess, which we call reality.” - Larry Wall