[Asdf-devel] startup times and initialize-source-registry

Faré fare at tunes.org
Wed Aug 27 23:01:51 UTC 2014

>> The cache should ideally be per source-registry entry;
>> and managed by the same entity that manages said entry.
>> Thus, I was thinking of an optional second form
>> in cl-source-registry.conf file.
>> Or a separate .cl-source-registry.cache file.
>
> I saw that.  i’m ambivalent about the complexity.

Checking for .cl-source-registry.cache in
collect-sub*directories-asd-files should be straightforward. NB: If
you're going to hack these things, please use the faster-registry
branch. You don't have an account on common-lisp.net yet, but it looks
like, after a year, it's still the same machine that some people were
angry about and calling for the replacement of, and I happen to be
root there, so I can open you an account and give you write access to
the asdf repository (if Robert agrees) — send me your ssh public key.

> Any insta-theories for where other half second comes from?

If you mean the second half of cl-launch's startup time, I fear it
might be a combination of shell and CL compilation overhead, but I
admit I haven't tried timing where the time is going. You're welcome
to investigate. At some point, I was thinking of translating cl-launch
to CL and having it output a bootstrap script to make itself. Then it
would have a "fast" mode that loads code onto the cl-launch image,
rather than start a new process (with maybe a different CL
implementation) to implement the requested software. At that point,
maybe Xach's buildapp is a better starting point. Or not.

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
        — Johann Wolfgang von Goethe