[Asdf-devel] startup times and initialize-source-registry

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 17:35:23 UTC 2014

On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 1:11 PM, Ben Hyde <bhyde at pobox.com> wrote:
> My cl-launch scripts can take one second.
>
> I can trim a half second off that with a disk-cache[2] of *source-registry*.

I'm jealous. Your machine is almost 25% faster than mine.

> [2] A proof of concept disk cache...
>
>  https://gist.github.com/bhyde/526c5acb38f341d60dba

The cache should ideally be per source-registry entry;
and managed by the same entity that manages said entry.
Thus, I was thinking of an optional second form
in cl-source-registry.conf file.
Or a separate .cl-source-registry.cache file.

> So, anytime somebody rearranges the set of asdf systems they
> are expected to invoke reset-quickasdf.
>

> quickasdf horrible name - but it bemused me at the time.

Ouch.

> Calling initialize-source-registry directly from the repl takes
> 0.47 seconds without the diskcache and .004 seconds with it.

Yes, that's the general thing I'm thinking about:
kind of back to the concept of link farms of ASDF 1,
but only as an optimization, without any additional user configuration required,
and leaving system administration to system administrators.

To surrender to ignorance and call it God has always been premature,
and it remains premature today.         — Isaac Asimov