[Asdf-devel] request for test: experimental-submodules branch

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 15:39:27 UTC 2014

On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 9:27 AM, Robert P. Goldman <rpgoldman at sift.info> wrote:
> Thanks.  Please pull an update, and have a look. I replaced the local
> copy with a git submodule.

Looks like it works for me.

You should update the README with instructions on how to use this feature,
i.e. do git submodule update and export ASDF_DEVEL_SOURCE_REGISTRY,
or whatever the trick is.

>>> If you can, please pull an update, checkout the experimental-submodules
>>> branch, and see if it configures properly. All the dependencies should
>>> pop up in the ext/ subdirectory (this may not be the best place; I'm
>>> open to suggestions for improvement).
>>>
>> For the record, in xcvb, I called that directory dependencies/
>
> It's ext/ everywhere at SIFT. I'm inclined to keep the shorter name,
> unless there's some generally accepted practice to replace it with.

I don't have strong feelings about it.
I like short names.
I don't think ext/ is very obvious — at the very least, the README
should mention it.

> I changed by ASDF_DEVEL_SOURCE_REGISTRY to point to the local
> submodules, and this seems to work adequately, but I don't have great tests.

Actually, the asdf initialization routine could unconditionally
add the asdf tree to the path: either it's present or not, but it
doesn't hurt to try,
and so no need to export ASDF_DEVEL_SOURCE_REGISTRY, then.

If you're going to merge in minimakefile, you only need to make this
change after the merge, rather than twice (once before and once again
after).

> I'll see if this gets me through a next bug fix, which will test my use
> of the build scriptage. If so, I will merge the branch, and use it as a
> basis for merging minimakefile.

Wonderful!

PS: meanwhile, Christoph Egger just blessed the asdf 3.1.3 and
cl-launch 4.1 packages into debian unstable. Yay. In a few years,
Common Lisp scripting will be universally available. How funny would
it be that 10 years from now, Perl is a forgotten scripting language,
but CL is doing strong?

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world.
Today I am wise, so I am changing myself. — Rumi (1207–1273)