[asdf-devel] distributing asdf

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 20:34:34 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 11:41 AM, Zach Beane <xach at xach.com> wrote:
> By the way, this steady stream of "oops, ooops, oops, oops", is causing
> me a huge, huge, huge headache.

My apologies. I've been focusing so much on ASDF that I forgot to update
all the systems I maintain that indirectly depend on it. Now (only) I've
added an automated test that all these systems can still load correctly.

> The short life of asdf-utils is causing me a huge headache.

asdf-utils still exists. Now it's just a thin wrapper over asdf-driver.
I broke it briefly, thinking it had no clients (none showing in quicklisp);
I didn't you of all people were using it, after your complaining that asdf
should export utilities at all.

> The incompatibilities introduced in ASDF are causing me a huge headache.

I've been working hard to resolve them.
There's no way the old ASDF could be fixed without a complete rewrite,
and that was bound to introduce some minor incompatibilities,
especially in cases where clients software were exploiting
unsupported interfaces or outright bugs.

> This is a very annoying mess from my perspective. I haven't really
> gotten a grip on what the benefits are to make this (temporary?) pain
> worth it.

I'll publish a feature update shortly.

Advertising may be described as the science of arresting the human
intelligence long enough to get money from it.
	   — Stephen Leacock.