[asdf-devel] distributing asdf

Zach Beane xach at xach.com
Thu Jan 24 20:39:18 UTC 2013

Faré <fahree at gmail.com> writes:

>> The short life of asdf-utils is causing me a huge headache.
>>
> asdf-utils still exists. Now it's just a thin wrapper over asdf-driver.
> I broke it briefly, thinking it had no clients (none showing in quicklisp);
> I didn't you of all people were using it, after your complaining that asdf
> should export utilities at all.

When ASDF exported utilities, I did not use ASDF as library of utility
functions.

When the independent library asdf-utils exported utilities, I used them.

>> The incompatibilities introduced in ASDF are causing me a huge headache.
>>
> I've been working hard to resolve them.
> There's no way the old ASDF could be fixed without a complete rewrite,
> and that was bound to introduce some minor incompatibilities,
> especially in cases where clients software were exploiting
> unsupported interfaces or outright bugs.

The only positive practical difference I've seen between ASDF 1 and ASDF
2 is the automatic FASL segregation.

Please keep an audience like me in mind when documenting feature
updates.

Zach