[asdf-devel] ASDF 3? WAS Re: if-component-dep-fails

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.info
Fri Dec 14 17:25:02 UTC 2012

On 12/14/12 Dec 14 -11:02 AM, Faré wrote:
> Dear Nathan,
>
> at least as far as quicklisp-included software goes,
> your ironclad and nibbles seem to be the only user of ASDF's
> :if-component-dep-fails and :feature features.
> These features are a crock and I'd like to plainly remove them.
> In the future, I might provide a better-thought-out replacement that
> actually works.
> In the meantime, the backwards-compatible solution would be to use
> #+sbcl and such;
> yes it breaks an abstraction barrier — but at least it doesn't require
> ASDF itself
> to break its own abstraction barrier internally.
>
> Could you "fix" your .asd's to not use these features I'd like to drop?
>
> Does any other person who cares about ASDF cares about these features?

I think, if we remove :if-component-dep-fails and replace it with
something better (a choice I heartily applaud), and also add your
prepare-op, that sounds to me like a big enough change to the API to
warrant calling this ASDF 3 sometime soon....

There are enough API differences that I think being able to say

#+asdf3

might be useful...

Cheers,