[asdf-devel] ASDF 3? WAS Re: if-component-dep-fails

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 18:21:04 UTC 2012

rpgoldman:
> I think, if we remove :if-component-dep-fails and replace it with
> something better (a choice I heartily applaud), and also add your
> prepare-op, that sounds to me like a big enough change to the API to
> warrant calling this ASDF 3 sometime soon....
>
> There are enough API differences that I think being able to say
>
> #+asdf3
>
> might be useful...

Problem: asdf's current versioning scheme will declare that asdf 3 is
incompatible with asdf 2, so anyone who tries (asdf:version-satifies
"3.0" "2.26") is in for a big disappointment.

As long as we reasonably don't break compatibility, I propose we keep
the asdf 2 series going indefinitely.

And if we are going to break compatibility, we know where to find
xcvb, quick-build, etc.

— Question authority!
— Yeah, says who?