[asdf-devel] if-component-dep-fails

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 17:40:10 UTC 2012

On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 12:15 PM, Nathan Froyd <froydnj at gmail.com> wrote:
> I can probably do that, yes.  Why do you say they're a crock?  They're very
> useful for defining what's supposed to happen at a higher level than
> scattering #+/- about source files everywhere.

Oh, they serve a useful purpose, but they do it in a very roundabout
way, and they break the normal meaning of the dependency graph. I also
strongly dislike weakly-depends-on for the same reason, though at
least if can be thought of, just like #+, as a preprocessing phase
before the building of the dependency graph, rather than something
that magically escapes from the graph to a magic special case in a
specific traversal algorithm — what more only at traversal time,
unlike what the name suggests.

A programming language is low level
when its programs require attention to the irrelevant.
        — Alan Perlis