[asdf-devel] [bugfix] Fix ABCL loading ASDF definitions from jars under Windows

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Sat May 1 19:26:59 UTC 2010

Dear Mark,

thanks a lot for your patch. Your efforts are appreciated.

On 1 May 2010 14:04, Mark Evenson <evenson at panix.com> wrote:
> Attached please find a patch which fixes problems pointed out by Carlos
> Ungil when ABCL would catastrophically fail to translate the output location
> for ASDF systems located within jar files under Windows.

Now, your patch looks slightly fishy to me.
You notably produce a string rather than a pathname;
on the one hand, that is poor taste, on the other hand,
it's not clear what device that string will resolve to;
does ABCL ensure that it will be read as a device-less pathname,
as opposed to say a pathname relative to the "current device",
which may change, in which case you lose?

Also, instead of using concatenate 'string everywhere,
you might want to use merge-pathnames* and relativize-pathname-directory;
or not - after all, you know what is or isn't guaranteed
to work on your implementation.

Also, is it on purpose that these translations are in FRONT
of the wrapping-output-translations? That means they will be impossible
to override, as opposed to what would happen if they were on the BACK
of same list (i.e. *after* :inherit-configuration),
or relegated to the optional default-output-translations.

> We've fixed this in the version of ASDF 1.679 which we are planning to ship
> as part of abcl-0.20.0 in the next week.  After ASDF goes through the
> shakedown of your code-freeze over the next two weeks, we'll pick up the end
> result to ship as part abcl-0.21.0, if this seems reasonable to the ASDF
> developers.

It's easier for us to support the latest ASDF than an already old one,
especially if you're going to ship a patched old one. But yours might
be the conservative way to go 1.679, and the call is yours, of course.

Classical liberalism is not an economic doctrine. It is a theory of Law.