[asdf-devel] :logical-hostname

james anderson james.anderson at setf.de
Mon Mar 29 23:31:11 UTC 2010

On 2010-03-29, at 23:00 , Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll wrote:

> One of the common problems that ASDF users faced when introducing
> the new binary location system is finding out where things reside.
>
> Another problem we will eventually find is locating the resources
> associated to an ASDF system which has been replaced by a
> precompiled version.
>
> In general it would be desirable for a system to be able to locate
> its resources (additional files, icons, bitmaps, etc) using logical
> pathnames.

if the "pure" system definition proposal finds adoption, then
something of this order will be necessary.
in which case, the option should support a full logical host mapping.

if purity is not an issue, a logical pathname value for the pathname
argument already allows for subsequent remapping, but that does
require that the host be defined in addition to the system.
if a non-root location suffices, it is also possible to support
remapping by placing logical roots in the registry list.