[asdf-devel] :logical-hostname

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 23:42:59 UTC 2010

One site per system looks like it will quickly pollute the host
namespace. What about we instead use a single logical host with
subdirectories?

#P"COMMON-LISP:SYSTEMS;CL-PPCRE;CL-PPCRE.ASD"

The problem I have with this approach with logical pathnames at all is
that I don't understand whether or not mixed case and other characters
are allowed at all. They clearly aren't portably printable if they're
allowed, but I suppose that's an OK limitation. In any case, if
logical pathnames with names including mixed cases, dots, dashes and
underscores are not allowed at all, or there's at least one supported
implementation that will bork, I think it's a non-starter.

On the other hand, maybe it's time to have make an amendment to the CL
standard that will make LOGICAL-PATHNAMEs usable at long last.

Faith, n:
        That quality which enables us to believe what we know to be untrue.